The Range News is Maleny's premium Weekly Newspaper delivered each Friday
to the People of the Sunshine Coast Hinterland from Glasshouse to
Kenilworth and west to Peachester.

Phone 07 5494 2454
Fax 07 54943268

Wild dog snatches pet from under owner’s nose
by Cameron Outridge

A wild dog attacked and killed a pet dog before running off with it last Thursday.   The bold attack, which happened only yards from one of the owners, has them wondering how long it will be before a child is attacked.

“This was a big, bold, black dog,’’ said Marion Dale of Old Gympie Road, Landsborough.   “I was running towards it yelling and screaming and waving my arms,’’ said husband Terry, “But it took no notice of me. I just got there too late.’’  Terry said he tore his legs on barbed wire fence as he scrambled to chase the pack of dogs to try and retrieve his French pappilon “Holly”.   She was on the lawn of the Dale’s six acre property at the foot of Mt Mellum when the attack occurred.

The Dales said it was part of a pack of dogs led by a dingo. “There are three black kelpie crosses plus one dingo-cross which is gold coloured,’’ said Marion.  “The big black dog grabbed Holly in its mouth and took off.  It almost knocked Terry over. Terry got lost in the bush at the base of Mt Mellum and we had to get the Police to help him. He made it back but he was lost for about an hour.   “The terrible thing was that the dog was not frightened. I think this wild dog thing is completely out of control. What about baiting them? What about a concerted effort?   “My big worry is I’ve got an 18 month old granddaughter and it could have been her. This dog was bold. It did not care.

“It’s happened on Fraser Island and this dog is a lot bigger and a lot bolder than a dingo. We’re living here in fear. Our other dog is permanently locked up. I was even worried my husband would get attacked while he was out looking for them. He couldn’t fight of four big dogs like that.” Terry said he discovered the site where the dogs had their “day camp”. He said he had arranged to show the camp to someone from Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service.

“We see them about every second day. Just on dusk and back through between 4 and 5am,” said Terry.

Our thanks once again to Cameron & Tanya Outridge
of the Range News Newspaper for this story.