Through some stories we may learn a little more about the history of our area.
you have a story that we may be interested in please
email us with it so we can all enjoy learning a little more about our area.
dates and events
in the history of Landsborough
From 1859 to 1879 Queensland was administered by the Colonial Secretary's Office, which was a bit like the Premier's Office. Then in 1879 the state was divided into divisional board areas and this area was administered by the Caboolture Divisional Board until 1903 when the Caboolture Shire was proclaimed.
In 1912 it was divided further and we were governed by the newly-formed Landsborough Shire which continued to exist until 1987, and then the local government area was renamed Caloundra City.
(Photo left - now Landsborough Museum but
early Landsborough Shire Chambers)
In 1871 Isaac Burgess selected Portion 1 Parish of Bribie, 128 acres which he sold to James Campbell in c1880. It was the site of the first store. In 1877 he selected Portion 19 Parish of Bribie and the Temperance Hotel was built on 572 acres.
1879 was a very busy year. August 16 is the first record of worship at Mellum Creek. Mrs Isaac Burgess began operating the Mellum Creek Post Office on February 23, and the Mellum Creek provisional school was opened officially on September 29.
Cobb & Co ceased operation in 1879 and in 1882 McCallum was awarded the coach run. In the same year, two publican's licenses were issued. The first was to J Maughan for the Sportsman's Arms and the second was to Gordon Phillips. The latter was not taken up the following year.
William Landsborough had purchased Portion 27 Caloundra on October 17 1881, and in 1883 Campbells launched the steamer 'Mavis' which brought supplies up the passage. This Mavis I have mentioned was 47 tons gross measurement, and was the first steamer to run to Bribie. The Mavis, was a paddle wheel steamer. She was built in 1883 by J. W. Sutton and Coy., Kangaroo Point for James Campbell and Sons, and was used to convey timber from the Coochin Sawmills to Brisbane, taking back general cargo and supplies for residents in the Bribie district.
The little steamer Mavis made her first trip on the 26th January 1883, and with regularity and punctuality, be the tide ebb or flow, continued her service until the year 1890 when the Coochin sawmills were closed.
Captain Tutty was always in command of the Mavis. During these seven years trading was never known to “stick" the Mavis on any bank inside or outside the passage. There were no lights or leads for him. He steered by self-known landmarks and his well-known local knowledge. He knew the southern end of the bay equally as well as the north.
James Smith on the Gympie Road was issued a slaughtering licence on June 19 1883. Alfred Delisser surveyed the police reserve on Allotment 1 section 1a Parish of Bribie. The town of Mellum Creek was emerging on the Gympie Road.
The next busy year seems to be 1886, the year in which William Landsborough went to meet his maker. Henry Dyer came to town as a butcher.
Almost every country town had a racecourse and one was gazetted on Little Rocky Creek on November 3 1888. The police station and courthouse were built on the Gympie Road in 1889. T Jesser and Co were constructing the first tunnel between Landsborough and Mooloolah around this time.
Early Photo of Landsborough Railway Station
In the late 1800s, when gold was discovered in Gympie, pressure increased to build a rail linking Brisbane to Gympie. Subsequently the coastal route through Caboolture Landsborough, Nambour was chosen. The sparsely settled coastal region was characterised by a series of valleys separated by ranges.
Timber, logged by sawmillers such as Campbell and Pettigrew, was the main line of production in the area.
Survey of the Brisbane to Gympie rail route began in 1882 and the section linking Brisbane to Caboolture was approved in 1884. John Robb secured the Caboolture contract in February 1886 and immediately began construction of bridges over the South and North Pine Rivers, Burpengary Creek and the Caboolture River. The section to Petrie (then known as North Pine) was opened on 1 March 1888 and the section to Caboolture on 11 June 1888.
Survey of the Caboolture to Gympie route took six years as surveying resources were limited due to the large number of new lines being planned. The Stanley River route was surveyed in 1884 but in 1885 a coastal route began to develop.
This route passed through Landsborough, west of Buderim and through Yandina.
Plans were approved in November 1887 and the contract was awarded to T. Jesser & Co. in December 1888.
Major bridges were constructed over the Mooloolah River, Eudlo and Petrie's
(Photo Left - Original Mooloolah Railway Tunnel)
Creeks, and the South Maroochy River. This section also featured the only two tunnels on the entire North Coast Line. The railway was built using picks, shovels, spades, cross-cut saws, jacks, broadaxes, winches, horse-drawn ploughs and wheelbarrows. Explosives were used to move rock and create tunnels.
The rail line was constructed of sleepers made of tallow wood and blackbutt, piles, posts, bridge girders and transoms. The men who constructed the line included settlers, timber-getters and teamsters working to earn money to improve their homes and farmers. The majority of workmen were 'navvies', originally from England where they had built canals and railways.
The Caboolture to Landsborough line, measuring 32 kilometres, was opened on 1 February 1890 and measured 32km. Stations were located at Beerburrum, Beerwah and Landsborough. The line to Yandina was opened on 1 January 1891.
This reduced the time taken to travel from Brisbane to Gympie to twelve hours.
(Photo right - early photo of Landsborough Rail yards
with bullock teams hauling timber logs.)
With the post office moved to the Landsborough Railway Station, the police station and school were renamed Landsborough in 1890.
The Shire Office and residence were erected on the Gympie Road in 1913 (now a private residence).
The move to the railway was not immediate, it was not until 1914 that land was purchased from the Cribb Estate for Cribb Street. The hotel moved from Gympie Road to its present site c1915.
(photo left - Early Landsborough Police Station)
The Caloundra Landsborough Road was declared a public road in October 1914, and February 16 1916 saw the opening of the Beerwah Landsborough Road. Landsborough was on the map as a crossroads to the coast, the ranges and the city of Brisbane.
Information on this page researched through facilities at the
Landsborough Historical Museum of 4 Maleny Street Landsborough,Queensland. Australia.
the naked city there are a thousand stories in the
us your story.....