Through some stories we may learn a little more about the history of our area.
you have a story that we may be interested in please
email us with it so we can all enjoy learning a little more about our area.
insight into William Landsborough and his
influence on Sunshine Coast history
Scots around the World"
by Thelma Birrell
Most will know a little about William Landsborough who explored much of Queensland. He had done a lot or exploration and was rewarded by the Queensland Government with about 2000 acres of land which he named "Lamerough". Landsborough and John McDouall Stuart were first to cross the continent in 1862 arriving at their destination within a week of each other. Stuart travelled from Adelaide, while Landsborough journeyed with camel from Albert River in Queensland, but failed to record the arrival due to their great excitement . Public subscription urged these men to do exploration, specifically to search for the missing Burke and Wills. William Landsborough traversed the country many times from exploring from Mt. Nebo to Bowen Downs Station1856-1859. The Landsborough Highway runs through vast tracts of land that he once occupied. Burke and Wills set out to achieve the same feat, but failed to complete the journey, a story we are all familiar with.
That was 1862 ten years before my grandfather Robert Bostock (b.1850) ventured to the centre. Robert was left without parents and in 1872 drove many hundred head of cattle to Cooper Creek - the dig tree region. Robert took up 6 blocks of land at Innamincka, which he lost, as the border was changed more than once, finally being designated as being in South Australia.
William Landsborough named his property "Lamerough" after his native home in Scotland. Lamerough Street is named in his honour. William was born at Saltcoats Ayrshire. William's great granddaughter was living at Caloundra when we chatted with her. She first saw her Landsborough grave at Caloundra in 1936. About the time Mary married Edward Christianson, there were only 11 houses between their King's Beach home and the Post Office in Bulcock Street, Caloundra. William married Caroline Raine of Sydney just before he sailed for London to be presented to Queen Victoria in 1863. The title "Right Honourable William Landsborough" was bestowed on him in Brisbane in 1864.
This was the time JOHN MALTMAN became manager for William Landsborough, as William was appointed in 1865 to Albert River in the Gulf as M.L.A. and Police Magistrate receiving $800 p.a. Landsborough became Crown lands Commissioner, so in all, he was a very respected and loved gentleman in this Queensland where he lived. The sad times came upon him and William's wife died of a fever. What happened to the land at Golden Beach ?
The family were living in different locations, money was scarce and £36 per year rates became an obstacle. The three daughters of his first marriage paid the rates for a while until two of the women could not continue. One daughter continued to pay the rates, while it was her daughter who was married to the owner of the case mill, behind Military Jetty. He used the Ti Trees of 'Lamerough' for his fruit cases. They gave up the struggle with rate payments about ten years later. Around the turn of the century, Henzells bought the land from the Government for 2/6d per acre.
That is the story as we believe it to be, through the family.
William landsborough remarried and returned to live on his beloved Lamerough at Golden Beach in 1880, with John Maltman remaining as Overseer. It was this time that the sons of John Maltman, namely ROBERT MALTMAN AND ALEXANDER MALTMAN worked as shepherds for Landsborough for a reported 5d a day, returning on foot, to their home at Mooloolah. John owned hundreds of acres and his property adjoined that of his friend Ewan Maddock. John Maltman, who was originally an industrial chemist in Glasgow had the 'soap hole' at Glenview, Mooloolah, which is still recognised by historians. He had dealings with Campbells Soap Company at Bowen Hills, Brisbane, but no detail is known.
William Landsborough passed away on 16.3.1886 aged 61 years. While laying on his bed, just before he died, he asked John Maltman to just lift him up, to have one last look at the ocean, Moreton Island and the Glasshouse Mountains. John built a Red Cedar coffin from the thick cedar doors of Landsborough's home, as his grand daughter explained. William Landsborough was laid to rest at Golden Beach, but later reinterred on a prominent hill at Toowong Cemetery with other notable persons. A memorial can be seen at the Golden Beach shopping Centre, but why people have to mark and spoil this memorial, is hard to understand.
Henzell's, began subdividing the country (2000 acres) which awakens many stories I am sure, in old Caloundra residents. Matthew's Uncle Peter b.1915 related a story about driving along Golden Beach to Military Jetty in earlier times and explaining to his passenger about the aboriginal inhabitants who lived in the bushland. As he rounded the bend he was so surprised to see the locals that he ran his car into a tree. The aboriginal men came and helped him to break free.
This same Peter Delanty owned about 350 acres on both sides of the road leading into Caloundra and Sugar Bag Road. His brother Alfred also a son of Letitia Maltman and Tom DeLanty, leased many hundred acres, where Corbould Park is now situated. Letitia Maltman was a daughter of John Maltman & Letitia Rose Mulholland and was also Matthew Birrell's grandmother. These Delanty lads went to the war and as cash was scarce, Alf forfeited his lease payment of £4/10/- per year, when fencing became too costly and fences difficult to maintain. A condition of the lease was to erect a certain amount of fencing each year. Matt's Dad Ernest Birrell helped Alf build these fences which remain today.
During his later years John Maltman bought a number of blocks of land in Arthur Street, which he gave to each one of his family. It is believed but not confirmed, that he paid 10/- a block. A member of this family was living there until just a few years ago, when the property was sold. Violet Richardson was previously married to John William Maltman, son of John & Letitia Maltman Snr. John Wm.Maltman Jnr. operated a Bullock Team which hauled butter at one time, from the Maleny Butter Factory to the Landsborough Rail head. I can assure you, that the road track of those times, was nothing compared to the scenic Macadam road today. JOHN Snr. and LETITIA MALTMAN retired to Bald Knob and the old shack where they lived is still there by the roadside. Letitia Maltman, who was a nurse (midwife) conducted the Railway Refreshment Room at Landsborough for the workers engaged on the building of the railway line. John died in 1916 and Letitia died 1917 and are laid to rest at the Glenview Cemetery on the old highway to Landsborough.
One of those shepherd boys, ROBERT MALTMAN married and lived at "Hollymount" in Sugar bag Road, where he became a dairy farmer. He operated a milk run around Caloundra for many years. Robert also operated the first kiosk on King's Beach and built the first public hall in Caloundra, where dances, meetings and church services were held. When the main road was diverted off Sugar Bag Road, Robert pulled down his home, piece by piece and rebuilt it on the site near the corner of Maltman and Queens Streets, where it still stands in 1999. So Maltman Street is named after Robert Maltman, whose larger property was subdivided and where many houses now grace the old farm. Robert was born in 1873 and died at his home in 1956. Clare Maltman (Burnham) whom some of you know, is the last surviving child of Robert and Thirza (Hudd) Maltman's issue. Many grandchildren live around Queensland. Ruby Sutherland, a well known Caloundra identity some years ago,was a daughter of this Robert Maltman and lived on the Maltman estate.
Story taken from writings of
"Scotts around the world"
An insight into some of the history of
the Sunshine Coast Hinterland.
Another brother Alexander Maltman regularly played his violin on the Bulcock Beach front.
BULCOCK BEACH. Matthew remembers, as a lad the windmill on Bulcock Beach, where the local residents came to draw water for the household. Joe Boyden (stepbrother to his mother Ellen DeLanty) planted all the Norfolk Pines along Bulcock Beach. Joe was a building Inspector for the council at that time and lived behind where the post Office is today. The trees that surrounded Joe and Lizzie Boyden's house remain, on corner of Omrah and Otranto Streets, Caloundra and next door to the Caloundra Library. This is directly behind the Caloundra Post Office. Joe and Lizzie passed away many years ago now, but Matthew remembers as a young boy visiting his rellies and playing in the garden, while his parents had cups of tea. This 'Lizzie' was Elizabeth Skene, and it was her father William Skene of Montville, who donated the "BON ACCORD FALLS" to the Queensland Government. Bon Accord was their hometown in Aberdeen, Scotland. The old Skene home is still on the Mapleton - Montville road, on top of the cutting at the entrance to Kondalilla Reserve. After receiving the property the government changed the name of parklands to "KONDALILLA FALLS"
Robert Boyden, Joe's bachelor brother, had a mechanical workshop on the site of Sunland Shopping Centre. The old brown cottage near the corner and opposite the entrance to the shopping centre, was Robert's residence. The large mechanics workshop with a dominant saw tooth roof was reconstructed there, after being brought from a site on Bribie Island, after the war had ceased.
As a lad Matthew's grandfather Tom and his mother would go fishing off Golden Beach in the dingi.
There was always a feed of fish for breakfast or dinner. The fire was always ready on the beach when they returned. Were they the days - or what !!!!
the naked city there are a thousand stories in the
us your story.....